The Two Towers
SE27, London (Greater)
The Two Towers is a warm and friendly family pub popular with the locals of Gipsy Hill and Norwood. The pub has a spacious beer garden, pool table and darts as well as large TV screens. The pub hosts regular music nights. Private parties are catered for.
A brief history from "Excerpt from Norwood Pubs" The eagle-eyed will spot that this pub does not posses even one tower, merely two garden urns on plinths. The name is supposed to have been taken from the towers of the Crystal Palace, which loomed above the roof of the pub in happier days. The urns where perhaps added as some slight justification of the name after the original allusion had lost its point with the destruction of the Palace. The pub, which remained a mere beerhouse until the middle of the twentieth century, was founded by Joseph Moss in 1868 or a little earlier. The Two Towers is notable for the remarkably few landlords who ran it during its first century. Moss was succeeded in the 1880s by his widow Mary Ann, who remained until the mid-1890s. Frank Ellis held the licence from 1896-1912, when Miss Emily Letitia Ledger began an extraordinary long reign that was unbroken in 1958. From 1956 she was in partnership with Jocelyn Hayes Power.